DentFinder is an app to find dents and identify small damages on the surface of vehicles like cars or motorcycles.
The technology is simple and ingenious. Through the reflection of the specific line pattern (line reflection) on the paint surface, you can immediately recognise bumps due to the resulting curving in the lines. A bend in the lines on a flat surface is a dent or bump. The thickness of the line curvature gives information about the depth of the dent or the height of the bump.
Especially when purchasing a vehicle it is worth investigating the body with DentFinder and introducing the findings into the price negotiation. Dents that have arisen due to hail, for example, often occur without paint damage (scratches or splits), and are therefore difficult to see with the naked eye. Without DentFinder, it might be months before deformations are noticed. Using the DentFinder app you can detect such defects as early as the first inspection. DentFinder is always with you and you don’t need to carry any extensive equipment. DentFinder works like a stripe board, but is many times cheaper. DentFinder is an absolutely professional tool at a small price. DentFinder saves more than it costs.
- Documentation of damages when returning a lease
- Finding dents and bumps in surfaces
- Discover damage when purchasing a vehicle
- Find micro damage to motor vehicles
- Detecting defects after body repairs (disturbances in the vehicle surface)
- Quality control of surfaces during production
- Irregularities after smoothing work
Open it on your device!
Click “Start!“. Chose the color of the lines and the detail level. You may test some different settings for the target vehicle. We recommend small, detailed lines.
Turn around your phone!
Hold your phone closely above the surface of the vehicle and move slowly from left to right. Make sure, that there is no dirt or water on the surface. Otherwise the reflection won’t work or is not precise enough.
Search for dents!
The vehicle paint will reflect the lines of our app and you will see, that the lines are curving while moving the phone over a dent. You will be able to see even smallest strains on the paint.
The surface is flat and smooth
The lines run parallel.
A bump is present
The lines curve around/away from the bump.
A dent is present
The lines run along the center of the dent.
Deformations are present
The lines run unevenly/in a wavy and inharmonic pattern.
A bodywork repair is unclean
The lines run in shaky or jagged pattern.
The square pattern
The square pattern is optimized for the detection of large-scale deformations. It’s available in 3 colors and detail levels.
Fluctuating lines make minor dents and bumps perfectly identifiable. Beside the normal detail level there is a higher and lower detail level available.
The thin stripes are best for detecting minor damage, e.g. such as may occur from hail.
- The smartphone or tablet is held over the surface, so that the pattern reflected in the surface.
- The test surfaces should be clean as possible.
- The test surfaces must be dry and free from condensation.
- Do not use DentFinder in direct sunlight if possible.
- If you are in the sun, make sure that you always work against the sun.
- Choose a high-contrast pattern according to the paint color.
- Set the display to maximum brightness.
- A darkened environment ensures better visibility.
- So that you can rediscover the found spot immediately, it is recommended that you use a suitable PDR marker to mark the spot.